WASHINGTON – Stretched thin by four years of war, the Army is adding three months to the standard yearlong tour for all active-duty soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, an extraordinary step aimed at maintaining the troop buildup in Baghdad. The change, announced Wednesday by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, is the latest blow to an all-volunteer Army that has been given ever-shorter periods of rest and retraining at home between overseas deployments. Rather than continue to shrink the at-home intervals to a point that might compromise soldiers’ preparedness for combat, Gates chose to lengthen combat tours to buy time for units newly returned from battle. The longer tours will affect about 100,000 soldiers currently in Iraq and Afghanistan, plus untold thousands more who deploy later. It does not affect the Marine Corps or the National Guard or Reserve. “Our forces are stretched, there’s no question about that,” Gates said. “Extending the tours of all active-duty Army personnel is an unacceptable price for our troops and their families to pay,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said the longer tours will have a “chilling effect” on recruiting and the Army’s ability to keep soldiers from quitting the service. “We also must not underestimate the enormous negative impact this will have on Army families,” Skelton said. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who supports the troop buildup, said of the affected soldiers, “They’ll be disappointed, but they’ll do it.” Indeed, at Fort Bliss, Texas, home of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, some Army families took the news in stride. Carol Frennier, whose husband, Command Sgt. Maj. Steve Frennier, is in Iraq, said she had prepared herself and her family for a longer deployment. “They kind of told us to expect 12 months to 18 months,” she said. “We were already prepared to have them extended.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The extended tours are a price the Army must pay to sustain the troop buildup that President Bush ordered in January as part of his rejiggered strategy for stabilizing Baghdad and averting a U.S. defeat. Troop levels are being boosted from 15 brigades to 20 brigades, and in order to keep that up beyond summer the Army faced harsh choices: Either send units to Iraq with less than 12 months at home, or extend tours. The decision also underscores the political cost the administration has had to pay in order to keep alive its hope that higher troop levels in Iraq, combined with a push for Iraqi political reconciliation, will finally produce the stability in Baghdad that experts say is needed before U.S. troops can begin going home. In recent days, the Pentagon has notified National Guard brigades from four states that they are in line to deploy to Iraq for a second time, eliciting complaints from governors. Also, the Pentagon poured more than $1 billion into bonuses last year to keep soldiers and Marines in the military in the face of an unpopular war. At a Pentagon news conference, Gates said that it was too early to estimate how long the troop buildup would last but that his new policy would give the Pentagon the capability to maintain the higher force levels until next April. Democrats in Congress, and some Republicans, oppose the buildup and are trying to force Bush to change course. In January, the administration indicated the buildup might begin to be reversed by late summer or fall. Reaction on Capitol Hill to Gates’ announcement was harsh.