Emails reveal notsofine print

On Monday, Ohio State revealed more email correspondence between Jim Tressel and Columbus lawyer Christopher Cicero, the man who alerted the football coach of possible violations by players, which Tressel has since acknowledged he failed to disclose to OSU and NCAA officials. The previously undisclosed emails contain advice from Cicero to players involved with Eddie Rife, the owner of Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor. “My suggestion is to tell (names redacted) (and any other current player) who has had contact with him (Rife), that if they are approached in person, by phone, by “target” letter, by any person in law enforcement, tell them that BEFORE they talk to anybody, or respond to anybody that they MUST contact you first… especially if some stupid media would get ‘wind’ of this… ok. Chris,” Cicero said to Tressel in an email on April 16, 2010. Cicero also suggested that Tressel advise his players to speak to the coach if anyone questions them about the matter involving Rife, who was under a federal investigation for drug trafficking charges. Tressel responded to Cicero three days later, asking if he had any more information on names associated with the selling of the 2008 Big Ten Championship rings. Tressel also hinted that he had a “plan” regarding the 2009 Big Ten Championship rings that had yet to arrive. “Is there a way I could get all the ring names…I have a little plan once this year’s rings arrive….jt,” Tressel wrote. Cicero responded a day later. He said an agent of the district attorney involved with the Rife case had the rings sold to Rife. “Thanks!!” Tressel responded. More than a month had passed without another email from Cicero. On June 1, Tressel emailed Cicero asking if he had any more names from the rings that had been sold. Tressel told Cicero the 2009 Big Ten Championship rings were arriving that week. “Any names from our last discussion ?? I would like to hold some collateral if you know what I mean….. jt,” Tressel said in the email. Cicero responded later that day, indicating that the two names he provided before were “still good.” Cicero informed Tressel that communication between himself and the district attorney had ceased and that no more names had surfaced. OSU said the emails released Monday, which had been detailed in a Columbus Dispatch article, were “inadvertently omitted” from the initial email release on March 8. OSU also acknowledged receiving a formal list of allegations from the NCAA on Monday. The NCAA sent a letter addressed to President E. Gordon Gee explaining the current state of the investigation. OSU is expected to respond to the NCAA’s request by July 5 and a meeting is then set for Aug. 12. In an interview with ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” on March 13, Cicero confirmed he mentioned quarterback Terrelle Pryor and wide receiver DeVier Posey while informing Tressel of his players’ involvement with Rife. In an email to The Lantern, Cicero said: “I gave an ESPN interview in March 2011, with Chris Spielman where I gave a taped interview answering every question posed to me. It is the only interview I am giving on this matter.” Five Buckeyes, including Pryor, Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams, running back Dan Herron and defensive lineman Solomon Thomas are suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling memorabilia and receiving improper benefits. Cicero played football at OSU under coach Earle Bruce, and graduated in the spring of 1984. He lettered his senior year. In an email Tressel sent to Ted Sarniak, a 67-year-old business man from Jeannette, Pa., who befriended Pryor many years ago, Tressel seemed to vouch for the Columbus lawyer. Sarniak accompanied Pryor on his recruiting trips to OSU and other universities as a mentor figure for the young athlete. Tressel explained to Sarniak the relationship between Cicero and the university. “This guy, Chris Cicero, is a criminal lawyer in town,” Tressel said in the email. “He played here when I was an assistant coach in the early 1980’s. He has always looked out for us.” read more

Read More »

Womens basketball Mitchells struggles lead to Buckeyes Big Ten tournament exit

Ohio State junior guard Kelsey Mitchell (3) facilitates the offense against Purdue during the Boilermakers’ 71-60 win against the Buckeyes at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis on March 4. Credit: Ashley Nelson | Sports DirectorINDIANAPOLIS — As Ohio State junior guard Kelsey Mitchell goes, so goes the Buckeyes’ women’s basketball team. And the only place Mitchell and her team are going after Saturday afternoon’s game is home.On Friday, against Northwestern in the Big Ten tournament quarterfinals, Mitchell led both teams with 27 points en route to a dominant 99-68 OSU victory. But in the following day’s game against Purdue, nothing went right for the Big Ten player of the year. Mitchell scored just nine points as she made 3 of 22 shots and just a single of her 12 3-point attempts, and OSU lost 71-60.“She didn’t have a good game,” said OSU coach Kevin McGuff. “She’s a spectacular player, one of the very best in college basketball, and tonight wasn’t her night.”The Buckeyes could not overcome their star’s struggles, as Purdue pulled off the 71-60 upset win, which knocked OSU out of the tournament and sent the Boilermakers to the final.The season low for the guard who averages 23.5 points per game picked up her second-lowest scoring total as a Buckeye, coming within a point of tying her career low of eight, set in 2015.The Boilermakers keyed in on the left-handed OSU guard’s proclivity to dribble to her dominant hand side.“We wanted to make her play on the right side of the floor,” said Purdue senior guard Ashley Morrissette. “They ran a couple plays where she got looks on the left side of the floor. But I thought, as a team, we did a great job of defending her.”This isn’t the first time the Boilermakers’ defense shut down Mitchell. In January, Purdue used a 1-2-2 zone defense to smother Mitchell, holding her to 14 points and making just 3-of-17 shots. But on Saturday, Purdue implemented a 2-3 zone defense. Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said the change was made due to OSU more frequently utilizing a two-guard lineup.“They executed and they trusted it and said, ‘Hey, let everybody else shoot the outside shot and just corrall her,” said Purdue coach Sharon Versyp.Versyp and Morrissette each noted the importance Purdue placed on surrounding Mitchell with two players at all times to keep her off balance.As a team, the Buckeyes shot just 34 percent from the field and made just 3 of 23 3-point attempts. OSU even struggled at the free throw line, with the Buckeyes making 7 of 15 from the charity stripe. “Once they got a lead, we seemed to get out of doing the things that we’ve done all year and (it) allowed us to be very efficient on offense,” McGuff said. “We were rushing shots and taking quick, contested shots instead of showing a little more patience and a little more trust in the execution.”In her six previous Big Ten tournament games, Mitchell averaged 29.8 points per game on 49 percent shooting.McGuff assuredly stated after Mitchell’s disappointing performance that no one is more likely to bounce back with authority than the OSU guard.“No one’s going to work harder, no one’s going to be in the gym more than she will,” McGuff said. “She’s going to make sure that her having an off night doesn’t happen again this year. I can assure you of that.” read more

Read More »

Naby Keita injury blow for Liverpool

first_imgLiverpool have announced that new signing Naby Keita will be absent for the next couple of days from training due to a neck injuryThe Guinea international has been a prominent figure in Reds’ pre-season games this summer following his arrival from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig earlier this month.But Keita was notably left out of Liverpool’s 2-1 2-1 win over Manchester City in New Jersey on Thursday.And now the club have made the announcement that they have chosen to leave Keita out of their training sessions for the next couple of days as a precautionary measure.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.However, they did hint that the 23-year-old could still be available for Saturday’s International Champions Cup match against Manchester United.“Naby Keita is set to sit out training for the next couple of days as a precautionary measure as he recovers from a sore neck,” read a statement.“Keita will be afforded time to recover by not taking part in the immediate sessions, although he has not been ruled out of the fixture with Manchester United in Michigan at this stage.”Liverpool will face West Ham United at home for their opening game of the Premier League season on August 12.last_img read more

Read More »

Alex Meret injury not so bad to keep him from playing

first_imgAlex Meret’s agent is confident the Napoli goalkeeper may be ready to play against Lazio on the first day as “the injury was less severe than it could have been.”Meret broke a bone in his arm during the first training session of pre-season, and there was fear whether or not he would be able to continue playing.“It wasn’t the best start, certainly not what we’d have hoped for,” Federico Pastorello admitted via Football Italia.“Unfortunately these things happen, it’s a shame because it was a preventable thing. Sadly the exuberance of a young striker caused this injury, but these things happen.“Theoretically he could be available for the first league game, the injury was less serious than it could have been.Fonseca hints Smalling could debut tomorrow Manuel R. Medina – August 31, 2019 AS Roma manager Paulo Fonseca has hinted Chris Smalling could debut in tomorrow’s Derby Della Capitale between his team and Lazio.“He’s already started a whole series of workouts, even with the cast, he’s only lost 15 days and has been working consistently.“He’s champing at the bit to be there [for the first game of the season], then obviously it’s up to the Coach [Carlo Ancelotti] to decide.“If he thinks it would be more appropriate not to risk him then there will be no problems.“We chose Napoli because they were the club that wanted him most, it’s a long-term project so it’s not like the first game will change that scenario.”last_img read more

Read More »

Tough start to the season Ayoze Perez

The Newcastle footballer believes this is the right moment to change the team’s fate and start adding points in the English Premier League seasonNewcastle United has lost four of their five matches, with one point coming in thanks to a drawing at Cardiff.And for footballer Ayoze Perez, the upcoming schedule should allow them to turn their season around.The Magpies will face this month: Crystal Palace, Leicester City, Brighton and Hove Albion, and Southampton.Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Manchester UnitedVidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“Now our league starts and it’s time to start getting points,” Perez told Sky Sports.“It has been quite a tough start to the season. We have had games against the top sides and we could have picked up some points, but we couldn’t. Now we are playing against a team in our league, which we can beat, and we are making sure we are ready for it.”“If you compare our situation with our performances we shouldn’t be where we are, but we have been playing against the top sides. Even with a perfect game you can get beaten, but only we can make it better,” he added.“Now is the time to get points, that’s the most important thing. It’s time to play against ‘normal’ teams and start doing what we did last season.” read more

Read More »

Hodgson hopes LoftusCheek returns to Crystal Palace

first_imgCrystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson, expects that youngster Ruben Loftus-Cheek can someday go back to the club where he played last season.The time that Ruben Loftus-Cheek spent at Crystal Palace last season, was more than enough to convince manager Roy Hodgson that the 22-year old is a great player for the squad.The former England manager hopes that the youngster can decide to not play for Chelsea anymore, given the incredibly difficult competition that he has against players of the likes of Mateo Kovacic, Jorginho, Cesc Fabregas, and Danny Drinkwater.All of those players plus Loftus-Cheek, fight to earn a spot on Maurizio Sarri’s starting eleven and there are few chances for Ruben to convince the Italian manager.“Ruben Loftus-Cheek did an outstanding job for us when he came here,” Hodgson told the media this Friday via Crystal Palace’s website. “He really answered all the questions that we hoped he would answer, and luckily for us, and even more for him, it got him recognized by the national team.”Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.“He found himself in Russia representing England, which was a perfect end to the season he had for us.”“We admire him, we like him very much and we wish him well, and of course, like a lot of other clubs, I’m sure when the day comes when he becomes available for a transfer, we will be sticking our noses into that, but whether we will get him again, that’s another matter. Who knows, we will see.”You’ve voted Ruben as the #CPFC 🦅 Man of the Match!Well done @rubey_lcheek. 👏 #CRYEVE pic.twitter.com/kvL8JLoI33— Crystal Palace F.C. (@CPFC) November 19, 2017last_img read more

Read More »

NATL TOURISM STRATEGY TOWN MEETINGS MOVE TO MC NC AND SALT CAY

first_img Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 28 Oct 2014 – The Natl Tourism Strategy Public Meetings go to North and Middle Caicos and Salt Cay this week…. looking forward to your input, attendance and coverage of these events as the nation marks NATIONAL TOURISM MONTH in November.Middle CaicosThursday, October 30th at 11am,Conch Bar Community CentreNorth CaicosThursday, October 30th at 2pm,The Horse Stable Beach Building Salt CayFriday, October 31st at 11am,The Salt ShedProvidencialesMonday, November 3rd at 6pm,The Gustavus Lightbourne Sports Complex Related Items:middle caicos, national tourism strategy, North caicos, providenciales, salt cay TCI Govt Estate needs $20M injection, Minister announces rent-cutting plan Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp PNP open North & Middle Caicos causeway in tribute New Government contracts mean new clinic for Kew in North Caicoslast_img read more

Read More »