Redknapp admits QPR handed it to Fulham

first_img Christopher Samba fouled Ashkan Dejagah to concede an early penalty, which was converted by Dimitar Berbatov, before being caught in possession to allow the striker to add his second. A Clint Hill own goal saw QPR fall 3-0 down before Adel Taarabt pulled a goal back, and Loic Remy netted a second after he had seen a penalty saved by Mark Schwarzer. “We started sloppy,” Redknapp said. “We gave an early goal away and suddenly you’re on the back foot, you can’t give goals away like that and win football matches. They were the worst three goals you could ever wish to see given away.” QPR manager Harry Redknapp rued his side’s “sloppy” start in their 3-2 defeat to west London rivals Fulham that delivered a heavy blow to the Hoops’ survival hopes. Press Associationcenter_img Redknapp felt the game was there for the taking, especially after Fulham midfielder Steven Sidwell was sent off for a challenge on Armand Traore, but the former Tottenham boss was left bemoaning the poor opening to the match. He added: “They didn’t have to work for their goals, the penalty we got caught in possession, then we lost the ball and then with the own goal – you couldn’t have seen three worse goals. “We did well to come back from there and in the second half we deserved to get something out of the game – we battered them second half. At 3-2 I could see only one winner.” Samba, who joined from Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala for a club-record fee to much fanfare in the January transfer window, had an off night and Redknapp said it was not a performance you would normally associate with the former Blackburn defender. Samba pushed up late on in the search for a dramatic equaliser, much to the chagrin of his manager. “It is not like him, he is normally a very confident guy,” Redknapp said. “He got caught with the ball and it cost us dearly. When they had 10 men and we are murdering them with 11 you have got to play. “I don’t want to start lumping it into the box to Samba, (Bobby) Zamora or Remy. You have got to play and use that extra man. We had been creating three or four chances every 10 minutes and with 10 men we would have created even more chances.” last_img read more

Read More »

Lively crowd sets SU Soccer Stadium record as Orange beats Duke

first_imgThe hill behind the goal and on the face of Colvin Street was littered with trash. The grass was torn up and looked worn down, muddy and used. “I don’t think the hill has ever looked that bad after a game,” goalkeeper Alex Bono said. “I don’t think we’ve ever had that many people on the hill. It was quite an atmosphere today. I think it was probably close to or way over our record crowd.”Bono’s estimation was correct. The 2,533 people were a part of the largest crowd ever to attend a Syracuse soccer game, breaking the previous record set on Sept. 13, when the Orange drew 2,442 for it’s loss to then-No. 4 Notre Dame. The bleachers were completely full before the first kick, and lines to buy tickets stretched almost all the way down to Manley Field House. Behind the hill, fans craned their necks over the fence to watch as the Orange (15-2-1, 5-2-1 Atlantic Coast), the nation’s top-ranked team, beat Duke (9-9-1, 4-4) 2-0 to advance to the ACC tournament semifinals. “I think we were dragging people in as they were walking by,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. “We had some people looking over the fence, that’s a good problem to have. It was a terrific day for our program.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSince the previous record earlier in the season, SU has regularly drawn close to, or over 2,000 fans to its games. But on Sunday, on a brisk 45-degree afternoon, the fans braved the weather and the long lines to see the Orange in unprecedented numbers. Said McIntyre: “Winning makes everything better I guess.”      Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on November 10, 2014 at 1:18 am Contact Sam: [email protected] | @SamBlum3last_img read more

Read More »