Crabs close out 2016 season with second straight Humboldt Invitational Tournament title

first_imgARCATA >> Sweep the week. Sweep the tournament. Keep the title.It was what Humboldt Crabs manager Tyson Fisher wanted his team to do, and they certainly delivered that — and with plenty of added punch to boot.With wins over the Alameda Merchants (11-6) and the Auburn Wildcats, the Crabs made sure that the second Humboldt Invitational Tournament champion was the same team as in its first edition, with Humboldt taking the season-ending tournament for the second time in as many years on Sunday …last_img read more

Read More »

Red Bluff hosts second annual Pickleball tournament

first_img AdChoices广告In the 4.0 Division: 1st … The Red Bluff Pickleball Group held its second annual Deck the Halls with Pickleballs tournament Saturday at Tehama Family Fitness Center.Thirty-seven people and more than 40 gifts were donated to the Tehama Family Fitness gift drive. In the 3.0 Division: 1st was Linda Clawson, 2nd was Betsy Palubeski and 3rd was Cathy D’Ulisse and Betty Lasley. In the 3.5 Division: 1st was Mary Jacobson, 2nd was Trula Whitaker and Karen Falconer, 4th was Jake Jacobson. last_img read more

Read More »

Winnipeg in midst of a crystal meth epidemic frontline workers

first_imgBrittany Hobson APTN NewsGrassroots organizations in Winnipeg are calling on the province to address what they are calling a “meth crisis” in the city.This comes following a fire set at a transitional housing complex by a client in the throes of a crystal methamphetamine addiction.On Jan. 7 around 12:30 a.m. a man barricaded himself in a room on the top floor of the Morberg House and set a mattress on fire.A look at the room that was set on fire in the Morberg House. PHOTO: Brittany Hobson/APTNThe man was in the middle of a crystal meth psychosis according to Marion Willis, founder of Morberg House.“We know this person and, believe it or not this person is actually quite a nice guy,” said Willis.“He would never do anything like that except that he had a big slip and the slip was with meth. He entered a deep level of psychosis and that was the outcome.”Staff and founder of Morberg House. PHOTO: Brittany Hobson/APTNThere were about 15 people in the house at the time. No one was injured but Willis said the incident, along with the death of Windy Sinclair , 29, in December, show the extent of the growing crystal meth problem in the city.Sinclair was struggling with a meth addiction at the time her death. Her body was found frozen in a downtown back lane. The mother of four was two-months pregnant at the time. A cause of death has yet to be announced.“The level of meth use in this city has reached an epidemic. The meth psychosis is reaching a crisis that is beyond measure right now,” Willis said.Willis isn’t alone in voicing her concerns. Bear Clan Patrol founder James Favel said the group has seen a significant increase in meth use on the streets.“In our first year of operation, between June and November when the snow fell, we found 12 to 18 needles. The second year we found 300. This last year we’re over 4,000 already.”According to Willis and Favel, accessibility and cost are to blame for the increase. Costs can be as low as $10 for one hit or roughly a quarter of a gram and the high can last for up to 15 hours.Ruth Dixon knows first hand the devastating effects of addiction. Her 28-year-old son started using meth a year ago.“He wasn’t the same after that,” she said. “Once he took it he wasn’t the same. He’s not the son that I knew before.”Dixon works with youth in Winnipeg’s North End. She said the effects from inter-generational trauma are still embedded in the community and kids are seeking ways to self-medicate.“They turn to drugs for comfort, for a way out; to escape. It’s devastating to see our people in that condition,” she said.“Alcohol and marijuana are no longer the painkillers. It’s now stronger drugs.”Winnipeg police are also struggling to address the issue. They say they’ve seen an increase in crystal meth use within the past three years. Adding it’s fueling property crime, violent crime, and dangerous interactions with officers.So far the province has done little work with organizations to combat the crisis, said Willis.“We are the ones that can inform a strategy. We are the ones that can mobilize people and we are the ones that can act quickly, and yet we are invisible to this provincial government,” she said.She wants the province to fund the creation of a drug stabilization unit.Earlier this year the province increased the budget to the Addictions Foundation of Manitoba by $985,500.In a statement to APTN, the office for Minister of Health Kevin Goertzen said, “building upon our experience with opioid addiction, Manitoba’s work with methamphetamine will focus on the development of processes and team work to address challenges with withdrawal management, detoxification and treatment, in order to reduce risks to clients and staff who are working with these individuals.”bhobson@aptn.calast_img read more

Read More »

NATL TOURISM STRATEGY TOWN MEETINGS MOVE TO MC NC AND SALT CAY

first_img Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 28 Oct 2014 – The Natl Tourism Strategy Public Meetings go to North and Middle Caicos and Salt Cay this week…. looking forward to your input, attendance and coverage of these events as the nation marks NATIONAL TOURISM MONTH in November.Middle CaicosThursday, October 30th at 11am,Conch Bar Community CentreNorth CaicosThursday, October 30th at 2pm,The Horse Stable Beach Building Salt CayFriday, October 31st at 11am,The Salt ShedProvidencialesMonday, November 3rd at 6pm,The Gustavus Lightbourne Sports Complex Related Items:middle caicos, national tourism strategy, North caicos, providenciales, salt cay TCI Govt Estate needs $20M injection, Minister announces rent-cutting plan Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp PNP open North & Middle Caicos causeway in tribute New Government contracts mean new clinic for Kew in North Caicoslast_img read more

Read More »

Opioid overdoses and Narcan training in San Diego schools

first_imgOpioid overdoses and Narcan training in San Diego schools KUSI Newsroom, January 21, 2019 Posted: January 21, 2019 Categories: Health, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The San Diego County Board of Education said San Diego schools are experiencing an increase in overdose deaths.A proposed plan would make Narcan available in all schools across the county to address the issue.Vice-President for the San Diego County Board of Education, Mark Powell, said he would like every teacher trained in recognizing the signs of an overdose and would like every site administrator trained in the use of Narcam.Narcan can be used to reverse an opioid overdoses. KUSI Newsroom last_img read more

Read More »

Chef IQ brings smart cooking guidance to Chefman appliances at CES 2019

first_imgChefman Chefman, maker of small kitchen appliances debuted its Chef IQ app at CES. The cooking app connects via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to Chefman’s line of smart appliances. Within the app you can view recipes, control appliances and monitor the cooking process. Select recipes also include step-by-step video guidance. In addition to recipes and cooking guides, Chef IQ has a calculator to provide you with the exact cooking values you need to achieve perfect results. Those values are calculated based on the appliance being used. The guided cooking feature directs users through a recipe by using detailed videos of each step, all while integrating a cooking timer and temperature monitor. Chef IQ is compatible with several Chefman kitchen appliances including the Smart Sous Vide, the Smart 6 Tray Dehydrator. It also works with two upcoming appliances that aren’t yet available — the Smart Pressure Cooker with Integrated Scale and Smart Toaster Oven Air Fryer. The Chef IQ app is currently in beta and will be available for iOS and Android devices summer 2019.  Here’s everything that works with Google Home and Home Mini 0 Tags CES 2019: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show. CES schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. 58 Photos Post a comment CES Products Share your voice CES 2019 Smart Home Small Applianceslast_img read more

Read More »

9 great reads from CNET this week

first_imgApple generated its share of headlines during the last seven days. The tech giant made some pretty significant changes to the MacBook lineup (including ditching a model championed by a CNET editor), and it also dealt with a pair of security issues — one involving iPhone eavesdropping, the other, webcam hijacking. But there was plenty more happening too.We put Verizon’s and Sprint’s 5G networks up against each other in a head-to-head speed contest. A federal judge ruled that it’s unconstitutional for Trump to block critics on Twitter (and a couple of lawsuits said AOC shouldn’t be able to Twitter-block either). And Harley-Davidson rolled out an electric-powered hawg while Disney trotted out a computer-generated lion (king).Here’s more from our menagerie of stories this week:Inside YouTube, leaders look for ‘balance’ after scandalsNeal Mohan, second in command at the video site, handles an evolving role. James Martin/CNET How YouTubers are dealing with the deepfake threatThe VidCon convention for online creators kicks off with a panel on how to prepare for the deepfake dilemma.Young fans of Joey Graceffa hold masks of his face in front of their own. Getty Images Hands-on with the new Apple MacBook Air and MacBook ProThese two entry-level Apple laptops get spec upgrades and, in one case, an important price cut.macbooks-2019 Sarah Tew/CNET Facebook gets experimental with new apps to reel you inExclusive: You could see apps from the team within weeks.FRANCE-TECHNOLOGY-INTERNET-FACEBOOK-SOCIAL NETWORK-LOGO Loic Venance/Getty Images Can $80 earbuds keep up with the $160 AirPods?CNET senior editor Lexy Savvides calls the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air earbuds her new fave AirPods alternative.airpods-vs-anker Lexy Savvides/CNET Amazon Prime Day evolves from goofy sideshow to Black Friday-esque phenomOther retailers are forced to join the party, or else get left behind.Amazon-prime-day-3 Angela Lang/CNET Amazon plans $700 million retraining program for 100,000 US workersThe Upskilling 2025 program is designed to reach a third of Amazon’s US workforce.amazon-prime-now-manhattan-11.jpg Sarah Tew/CNET The $200 Nintendo Switch Lite is cheaper, smaller and handheld onlyIt’s coming Sept. 20 and here’s how it plays.nintendo-switch-lite-1 Nintendo Europe’s 5G difference: Unlimited data without a big surchargeUS carriers, take note. Here’s one way to lure customers to 5G.Palace of Westminster and Westminster Bridge Julian Elliott/Getty Images Share your voice Post a comment 0center_img Tech Industry Tagslast_img read more

Read More »

All Pahela Baishakh programmes must end by 5pm DMP

first_imgAn artist painting a mask ahead of Pahela Baishakh. Prothom Alo file photo Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) on Thursday said all out security measures have been taken to ensure foolproof security of Pahela Baisakh celebration in the capital, reports UNB.“Strong and co-ordinated security measures have been taken as people can celebrate Pahela Baisakh in a festive mood,” said DMP commissioner Asaduzaman Miah while briefing journalists at the DMP media centre.The commissioner also said all the programmes of Pahela Baisakh must end by 5:00pm while Rabindra Sarobar’s programme by 7:00pm.Police will keep cordoned off the important venues including Dhaka University campus, Ramna park, Teachers-Student Centre (TSC), Shahbag and Suhrawardy Udyan areas for ensuring smooth celebration of the first day of Bangla new year, he added.Also, no vehicles will be allowed to enter the areas in Nilkhet, Palashi and Bangla Motor areas, he added.The DMP chief said people have to enter the venues through archway and metal detectors.The security measures will also be applicable for people in Hatirjheel and Rabindra Sarobar areas, said Asaduzzaman.All the open venues will be under CCTV coverage and separate watch towers will also be set up in important areas, he said.He also asked people to refrain from carrying any vanity bag, bags, trolleys, inflammable things, knives, and any sharp weapons.The areas where people will go for celebration will be sweep by dog squad and Special Weapon And Tactics (SWAT) as well as bomb disposal units will be deployed, said the DMP Commissioner.Besides, a special team will be deployed to prevent eve-teasing during the festival, he said.The DMP chief said no one will be allowed to wear masks and play Vuvuzela on the day to avert any unpleasant incident. The law enforcers will escort the Mongol Shobhajatra to be brought out by the students of fine arts institute of Dhaka University.Separate patrol teams of the navy will be deployed in Hatirjheel and Rabindra Sarobar areas and divers and fire service unit will remain standby, he said.last_img read more

Read More »

Police shoot man after bomb scare at Sweden train station

first_imgA police car is parked outside the central train station after a man threatened to detonate a bomb in Malmö in southern Sweden on 10 June 2019. Photo: AFPPolice in the southern Swedish city of Malmo on Monday shot a man at the central train station who claimed to have a bomb, police and witnesses said.Police said the shooting occurred shortly after 10:00am (0800 GMT) when officers responding to emergency calls confronted a man acting in a threatening manner.Local media quoted several witnesses as saying that the man, aged around 40, had thrown a sports bag on the ground and shouted he had a bomb.After police approached the man he continued to behave threateningly, spokeswoman Evelina Olsson told.”A situation developed which required a police officer to fire their service weapon,” Olsson said.The man was taken to hospital while the train station was evacuated and the bomb squad was called. Police said investigators are waiting to question him.last_img read more

Read More »

Stacey Abrams Wins Historic Nomination for Georgia Governor

first_imgBy Aya Elamroussi, Special to the AFROHistory was made May 22 when Stacey Abrams won the Democratic primary election in the state of Georgia. She is the first Black woman to win a major party nomination for governor in the U.S. If she wins in November, she will be the first Black female governor.“Everyone who believed that a little Black girl who sometimes had to go without lights or running water – who grew up to become the first woman to lead in the Georgia General Assembly – could become the first woman gubernatorial nominee from either party in Georgia’s history,” Abrams said in a statement after her Tuesday night win.Stacy Abrams of Georgia is the first Black woman to win a major party nomination for governor in the United States. If elected she will be the first Black female governor in U.S. history. (Courtesy photo)Abrams was the first woman to lead a party in the Georgia General Assembly in 2010 and the first African-American to lead in the House of Representatives, according to Abrams’ campaign biography. She also founded the New Georgia Project, which, submitted more than 200,000 registrations for voters of color between 2014 and 2016, her biography said.Now, she’s on her way to the midterm elections on Nov. 6. “As an African-American woman, I will be doing something no one else has done,” Abrams told CNN before Tuesday’s election.It remains unclear who Abrams will face in November. The Republican candidate will be decided by an election on July 24.While her track record shows has a lot of barrier breaking “firsts”, her November win will not be easy. Democrats have had little success in achieving statewide support from Georgia’s conservative-leaning Whites. African American Democrats have held powerful state offices, but every governor position in Georgia has been held by a White male.Abrams is unlikely to try to gain support from rural Whites who have abandoned the Democratic Party, the New York Times reported. Instead, she is aiming to harness political support from young, non-White Georgians, the Times said.“Tonight, communities that are so often overlooked – whose values are never voiced – stood with us to say: Ours is the Georgia of tomorrow,” Abrams said after her win.  “A state where diversity is a strength. A state where progress is more than possible. A state where everyone has the freedom and opportunity to thrive. A state where equal opportunity is our truth, not their buzzwords.”Advisers to the Senate’s two Black senators, Kamala Harris of California and Cory Booker of New Jersey, are prioritizing Abram’s campaign for the fall, the Times said.In the past, voters have elected only two Black governors: Douglas Wilder in Virginia in 1989 and Deval Patrick in Massachusetts in 2006 and again in 2010.As a Black woman, Abrams race and gender may face difficulty in an arena dominated by White men. But Abrams said she believes in the state of Georgia.“Tonight’s victory was only the beginning. The road to November will be long and tough, but the next step is one we take together.”last_img read more

Read More »