Test in store for Douvan at Leopardstown – Willie Mullins

first_imgWillie Mullins expects Douvan to be given a “fair test” when he bids to make it two from two over fences in the Racing Post Novice Chase at Leopardstown on Saturday. Press Association “It looks a hot race. Jessie’s horse has had two very good runs, Sizing John is a good horse – it will be a fair test,” said Mullins. “I was happy with Navan, whether he got things his own way or the rest couldn’t go with him, it appeared little more than a schooling session apart from a blunder at the last. What I loved was the way that when he was wrong he got himself out of trouble, he knew what to do.” The Henry de Bromhead-trained Sizing John found Douvan too hot to handle on three occasions last season, but has made a flying start to his chasing career, winning on debut at Punchestown in October before following up in the Craddockstown Novice Chase at the same venue a month later. Jockey Jonathan Burke said: “It’s a very tidy race, but I wouldn’t swap my horse. We all saw what Douvan did last season and we know we couldn’t beat him over hurdles, but our horse hasn’t put a foot wrong over fences so far. “Douvan won his first race over fences in a common canter, whereas our lad has won his two and you’d like to think we might have an experience edge over him. “I do think our horse has improved a lot for jumping a fence. Douvan might have improved as well, but we’ll see. It will be interesting. It’s a very tidy race as Ttebbob looks like he could be anything over fences and Velvet Maker was impressive in Naas as well.” center_img A stunning winner of last season’s Supreme Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham before following up in dominant style at Punchestown, the five-year-old made a fine start to his career over the larger obstacles at Navan last month and is already a hot favourite for the Arkle Trophy back at Prestbury Park in March. However, it is worth noting that Supreme and Arkle-winning stable companion Vautour suffered defeat in this Grade One event 12 months ago and Mullins admits Douvan faces a couple of formidable opponents in old foe Sizing John and Jessica Harrington’s exciting front-runner Ttebbob. last_img read more

Read More »

David Silva calls for City to work harder without Vincent Kompany

first_img Manager Manuel Pellegrini recognises the importance of the fixture as he looks to manoeuvre his side into pole position but knows it is just one of many. He said: “It’s important to try to reduce the gap as soon as we can with the two leaders but we are not going to win the title in January. I think it’s important to be solid and a consistent team from now until the end of the season. “(There are) so many examples of teams that had the title in their hands in April, (but) they lose important points and after that they don’t win the title. So it’s important first to reduce the points that we are behind them and after that try to continue in all the competitions and try to be a solid and consistent team.” Kompany is undergoing thorough analysis as City try to get to the bottom of his recurring calf problems and is likely to be out at least another month yet. “I don’t think that he will be ready before a month,” Pellegrini said. David Silva believes Manchester City have the resilience to overcome the absence of captain Vincent Kompany. Press Association City are still unsure when the 29-year-old will return and Silva knows others will need to step up. The Spaniard, who turned 30 last week, said: “Vinny is a key player for us and our captain. With or without him in the side we have to work hard to concede less, but it’s not just the defence that defends, it’s the whole team. “It’s the same when we’re attacking – you need to have everyone helping out going forwards. So it’s down to us all to perform our defensive duties and it’s something we’ll be trying to do to help the cause. “Any team will miss their captain when they’re out and we’re no exception but when you look all over the field there are lots of figures willing to step up to the plate when needed. “We need to get a balance between conceding less but without lowering the total amount of goals we score or chances we create.” City, who are third in the table but just three points behind leaders Arsenal, host Everton on Wednesday in what could prove a pivotal night in the title race. Arsenal face a difficult trip to Liverpool while second-placed Leicester travel to fourth-placed Tottenham. Silva said: “It’s been a very exciting season and, above all, it’s very tight at the top. It’s going to be a close-run thing right through until the end of the season. “Each game is tough, it always is, but somehow this year it’s even tougher and especially away from home. Every team is finding tough encounters on the road and I think you can lose at any moment when you least expect it. It’s about being competitive until the end of the season and being in the fight until the end.” City’s title challenge has been hampered by the lack of appearances from the influential Kompany, who is sidelined with a calf injury. Kompany has featured in just nine of City’s 20 Barclays Premier League games but they have only conceded once while he has been on the field. In contrast, they have kept only one clean sheet in the 11 games he has missed. last_img read more

Read More »

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne set for 10-week lay-off

first_imgManchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne faces 10 weeks out of action after damaging his knee and ankle against Everton. The Belgian suffered his injury setback late in the Capital One Cup semi-final win over Everton on Wednesday, having come off the bench during the second half and changed the game with a goal and an assist. His efforts helped to set up a trip to Wembley for City next month, when Liverpool await them, but cruelly De Bruyne is set to miss that occasion along with important Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup games. De Bruyne wrote on Twitter: ” Just got back from the specialist. I’ll be out for around 10 weeks. “I’ll work hard on my recovery and hope to be back on the pitch asap. Thank you all for the supportive messages!” City won the second leg 3-1 to take the tie 4-3 on aggregate, with De Bruyne’s appearance ending when the 24-year-old appeared to get his studs caught in the turf and then landed on his knee. He stands to miss both legs of City’s Champions League last-16 clash with Dynamo Kiev, the Wembley clash with Liverpool on February 28 and the Premier League derby against Manchester United on March 20. If the 10-week forecast proves accurate, De Bruyne should be back in contention to feature against his former club Chelsea on April 16. He should also be back in time to play enough football to assure Belgium of his fitness ahead of their Euro 2016 campaign. De Bruyne’s representative Patrick De Koster told Sky Sports News: “Kevin is sad. His dream is to always be playing football. He will miss games like the League Cup final and in the Champions League, which are important. “But he knows they (City) are a good team, that the other players will do what they have to do, and maybe win the game for him, and also that (injuries) is what happens in football.” De Koster detailed the injuries as a “tear in the ankle and also the lateral (knee) ligaments”. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More »

Everton agree loan terms with two Championship teams for Aiden McGeady

first_img It mentioned reported interest from Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Blackburn, and Martinez said: “It seems very close. “We’ve agreed terms with two teams in the Championship. It’s just a matter of time before one of the deals is clinched. “Aiden needs to play and it’s a really good opportunity for him to do that in a very demanding fixture list for a team that can get a really good tempo into Aiden for Euro 2016. “That will make sure he comes back having had a good period of football and of having an impact for whichever team he joins.” Press Association Everton winger Aiden McGeady is close to joining a Sky Bet Championship side on loan, Toffees boss Robert Martinez has revealed.center_img McGeady has made only one first-team appearance for the Merseyside outfit this term. A statement on Everton’s website on Sunday said the 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international had been given permission to move on a short-term basis in order to get game time until the end of the campaign. last_img read more

Read More »

Local police officer suspended after DUI arrest

first_imgA Delray Beach Police Officer has been placed on suspension without pay after he was suspected of driving under the influence.41-year-old Marques Adrian Brown was taken into custody Sunday after he reportedly crashed his vehicle into a woman’s vehicle on North Ocean Boulevard.The woman called authorities saying that a man driving a Tesla crashed into her vehicle.Responding officers reported that the man driving the vehicle, later identified as Brown, smelled like alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, and swayed.Officers also reported that they were able to conduct some field sobriety test, however, Brown refused to take a breathalyzer test.According to the Delray Beach Police department, Brown who has been with the department since 2008, will remain on suspension pending the results of the FHP criminal investigation and internal affairs investigation.last_img read more

Read More »

Man throws feces at Miami-Dade judge before acquittal

first_imgMiami-Dade court officials say a man charged with burglary defecated during his criminal trial and then threw his feces at the judge.Dorleans Philidor, 33, was sitting in a wheelchair next to Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Lisa Walsh and allegedly yelled “It’s protein! It’s good for you!” during the incident.The suspect’s excrement did not hit the judge.Witnesses say dozens of corrections officers responded immediately.The trial was then moved, and the courtroom was sanitized.Shortly after, jurors acquitted Philidor of the burglary charge.No jurors were present during his outburst.Philidor reportedly still faces another trial in a grand theft auto case.It is unclear at this time whether he will face any charges involving the feces.last_img read more

Read More »

Stray bullets fall from sky during fireworks, Broward man hospitalized

first_imgA man was rushed to the hospital after being struck by a stray bullet in Lauderhill on Thursday.Police say the unidentified man, in his 20s, was lighting fire works with his family when a stray bullet fell from the sky and struck him in the leg.He was transported to Broward Health Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.Authorities across South Florida spent the days leading up to Fourth of July urging people to not shoot into the air.No other information is available at this time.last_img read more

Read More »

WATCH LIVE: The Public Impeachment Hearings Begin

first_imgDuring what President Trump calls a “circus” he will host the president of Turkey at the White House today. President Erdogan will meet with Trump in the Oval Office before holding a joint news conference. Top Republicans won’t be watching the first public impeachment hearings Wednesday.Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he’ll be paying attention to the business of the Senate while the first witnesses give their testimony.His Senate GOP colleagues John Cornyn and Roy Blunt also said they had better things to do than watch the proceedings in the House.Two Trump administration diplomats will testify before the House Intelligence Committee Wednesday, followed by the former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine on Friday. last_img read more

Read More »

Miami-Dade orders hotels & lodging to close

first_imgMiami-Dade County Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez issued an emergency order to close hotels and other lodging, with the exception of certain personnel.Hotels will still be available to first responders, displaced visitors or residents, domestic violence victims, airline crew members, patients’ families, and journalists from out of town.Short-term vacation rentals must end by Monday, March 23rd.A statement from the Mayor in part read, “As we continue to combat the COVID-19 virus, I have ordered that all hotels, motels and temporary vacation rentals shut down their operations throughout Miami-Dade except to house essential personnel and people who are unable to get back into their homes.”last_img read more

Read More »

Background checks for gun sales reach all-time high in Florida during coronavirus pandemic

first_imgGun sales have increased drastically in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic.Gun shop owners claim that many of the gun buyers are first-time gun owners.WPTV, 850 WFTL news partner, obtained records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and found March 2020 was the highest month on record when it comes to background checks for gun purchases. FDLE keeps data as far back as January 2004.It was a 23 percent increase from the second highest month on record, which was December 2015.last_img read more

Read More »